Tuesday 22 December 2009

Splice Advent Calender 2009: Day 22

Right so to the last of our Xmas movies and an all time classic, often regarded as the finest Christmas film, It's A Wonderful Life starring the God-like Jimmy Stewart.

Now, I know what you're thinking. You're thinking "I miss Tudor crisps, I mean they were just so damn tasty. Everything good always goes away". You're also thinking "but I thought you were looking for perfect 'Bah Humbug' film so why are you looking at the most feel good Yuletide flick ever?" and it's a good question. In fact, both are.

You see my memories of It's A Wonderful Life from when I was younger are entirely framed by another essential Yuletide watch Gremlins, that cynical little gem. That and Phoebe from Friends' description of it in the episode where she finally sees the ending of Old Yeller and loses all faith in movies. She basically sums it up as bleak and fixates on his ear.

Of course actually seeing it makes you realise that it's really very lovely and all that.



But then I read in last week's Sunday Herald Arts section about a review of the film by Wendell Jamieson of the New York Times that he wrote last year:

"(it's) a terrifying, asphyxiating story about growing up and relinquishing your dreams, of seeing your father driven to his grave before his time, of living among bitter, small-minded people. It is a story of being trapped, of compromising, of watching others move ahead and away, of becoming so filled with rage that you verbally abuse your children, their teacher and your oppressively perfect wife."

Ol' Jamieson sounds like my kind of chap. I thought after reading this "do you know what, he might be right" so I whipped out my copy of It's A Wonderful Life and braced myself for the greatest Bah Humbug film ever.

Only it's not is it?

No matter how correct all that stuff might be it's still such a heart-warming, brilliantly done film. And as such it's no fucking good to me this holiday season is it? I want to be left alone in my own embitterment. This isn't going to help me do that. Christ, the end is bloody lovely!

It's A Wonderful Life may well be the greatest Xmas film ever. As it stands Elves is better than it. But that's coming from my horrible, dark little Christmas Corner. I'd say join me in it, but I don't want you to.

No comments: