Sunday 11 October 2009

Ruud at TIFF 2009 Part 2

On to Friday at TIFF, probably should have added in part 1 that the Buster Keaton silent film i watched and enjoyed on day 1 had a live accompaniment which was rather ace.

But Friday, day 2. Ok I am sure these early starts are going to be goof for me in the long run, but getting up at half 5 is no fun for anyone! The snooze button gets pressed a few times as i am decide that showering in the morning isn't for me, not when those ten minutes can be spent in bed i can achieve just the same amount of waking up with throwing cold water in my face for the tap.

I get in to the city centre and up to Sutton Place easy enough, I am actually early again so i wait. All this information is pretty dull i guess, so i will fast forward. The shift today is pretty dull, a whole bunch of posters get dropped off in our wee library and I get a good look through some of them but still my knowledge of titles at the festival is lacking so most pass me by. I did at the end of the shift see my first celebrity however, if i saw her again i couldn't pick her out. Turns out she was on Battlestar Galactica, the new series and the reason she was in the library was that she was getting her photo taken and the place where that was happening is only a few doors along.

Looking through the stars of BG i think it was the actress who played "Boomer" but then i cant see anything in her filmography which would give her reason to be at TIFF. But what do i know at the end of the day.

So this spotting of a celeb happened at the cross over of shifts in the Library, there is two shifts that take the library from opening at 8am through till closing at 8, my shift for the week was the first half which finished at 2pm but the afternoon shift starts at 1.30. This was for a variety of reasons, for one if anyone was late they have 30 minutes grace as the 1st shift istn yet finished, and also if the likes of me or any of my other morning shifters want to see a film and need to dash away earlier then there is someone there to cover this. It works a charm. So it was one of the afternooners who spotted this TV star, this led to another afternooner tell us of his morning shift in the Press Office where he was trying to keep photographers at bay while press conferences were taking place. While he was doing this he inadvertently walked into one George Clooney. Pretty cool I think.

So to clarify slightly, the library is a floor up from the actual press office and on the floor the press office is on is a room which is turned into a room for press conferences. Lets call that the Press Conference room. These Conferences started today (not that I knew about it until the Clooney story came up, he also say Megan Fox too) and run basically all Festival. You, me and anybody can watch these conferences as they are available online here. it would appear that Mssrs Damon, Soderbergh, Bridges, Von Trier, DaFoe and MacGregor were there also. Not only that, Mr and Mrs Bettany were there following their Creation film opening the Fest. All very cool and I saw none.

The Clooney revelation did make me think I should pay attention a bit more when leaving the hotel in case someone is coming in at the same time. So i did.

Red was leaving T.O. that day after having enjoyed a lovely holiday (i surmise) so I met him again at Yonge and Dundas Sq where he was enjoying the end of the noon rockumentary about the Dixie Chicks, think he has mentioned it on another blog post on here. We decided not to wait for the Friday silent film as the film fest takes a wee back seat as embark on a journey that will see him arrive at the airport to catch his flight home to Blighty, and me home to have an early night and hopefully function better as a human being when the alarm goes off in the morning.

I managed it with bells on, i was sleeping before 10pm.

What i missed while in my slumberfest was the Men Who Stare at Goats premiere and The Informant! premiere plus a slew of other films on on the second day, but sleep was far more. The following day i begin my cinema going odyssey with earnest, the vouchers i have accrewed burning a hole in my pocket.

No comments: