Thursday 17 September 2009

Back From Holiday

Aye so the Toronto Film Fest is on and I'm back hame from my holiday, but Ruud's been cutting about it and says it's right good!

I did get to catch one film, a fantastic little new thing called Steamboat Bill Jr. from an exciting new talent called Buster Keaton, who I think might be related to Michael, which was screened for free in Yonge Dundas Square:



Best stunt you'll see all year that!

As for getting to catch up on some films I missed if the weather was bad, this happened:
I just cannae win sometimes can I?

Anyway attempts to to get District 9, Hurt Locker and some other stuff will be made, just to be up to date.

I did watch some other films while I was away though. On the plane going out I watched Anvil: The Story Of Anvil:



Basically it would be a shameless Spinal Tap rip-off if it wasn't for the fact that Anvil are a real band and the film is a documentary. Turns out the seminal "rockumentary" may have been very, very, accurate. It's a film worth seeing, and their music ain't too shabby either.

Another music documentary where the music wasn't so good but the story was most definitely interesting was Shut Up And Sing about The Dixie Chicks during the fallout of comments made about George W. Bush that meant that they as a country group were at logger heads with the opinions of a large chunk of their fan base:



It was another freebie in the square and is worth a watch.

The other two films I watched ended up being tributes to two fallen idols of the 80's. No not Louis and Auguste Lumiere, I meant the 1980's!

On the plane back I finally re-watched Ferris Bueller's hard fought attempt to have a day off school, and it must be said it is not only John Hughes' finest hour and forty minutes, it's up there with the finest of the decade.

The other turned out to be a retro-active tribute to the finest actor to ever grace our screens without a shirt, Patrick Swayze. One night when we got home pished Road House was on Canadian TV. It really is the greatest dumb movie ever made, a movie that verges on being absolute genius because of how stupid it is. I can't think of a better way to spend a drunken night.

No comments: