Friday 2 July 2010

Ruud at TIFF 2009 Part 8 Inc. Review of Waking Sleeping Beauty

Well by day 8 my time working at a film festival was winding down. After a good few days of being fresh in the morning, the night befores U2 gig and subsequent lateness in bed meant I was tired again. No matter, we only spent the early part of the day discussing how good Up in the Air was anyway.

Didnt really do much of note apart from that and at this stage as i said in the past part, I cant really remember.

I did however change my mind on which film to use my magic token on as i was locked in for Bad Lieutenant: Port of New Orleans until my head wast turned to Waking Sleeping Beauty. So following my shift I made my way down to the AMC at Yonge and Dundas and got my ticket for the 3pm showing. In truth time was a factor, Bad Liutenant I could have done, the film i really wanted to see was Vengeance, a Johnny To Hong Kong gangster genre effort, a genre i am particularly keen on but no way could I make my work (day two of U2 at the Skydome) if i did. What a decision it has turned out to be as it was excellent and so far hasnt been released in Britain, in fact mostly its done the festival circuits so I count myself luckt to have seen it. Plus check out the cracking poster on the right: class poster, class film.

Its a warts and all documentary about the rise from the ashes of the Disney animation studio that pulls no punches with naming and shaming those involved. Its a view inside the studio, a view i guess you would never hav thought possible and its funded by....Disney!

It was really moving and really insightful and a teriffic documentary on a fascinating subject. Oddly sitting in the cinema there was a cheer went up when Patrick Swayze appeared on screen in a scene where the nominations for best Oscar in 1994 were read by him and Beauty and the Beast was nominated(thus the Pheonix had risen) as he had just passed away that week. Very odd but also rather poignant. An interesting point of the film was the way it was made, there was no talking heads, noone looking back and adding commentary, the film plays like the animators and disney business mens home movies and its a refreshing change of pace from what i am used to watching documentaries.

I really hope this film is released or even features maybe on BBC4 on Storyville or something, I know anyone who has grown up with Disney (er that will be everyone) will enjoy it.



After the film I waited to hear the writer and producer speak which rocked quite considerably. they were very candid about Disney and Pixar and were just about to answer some juicy question about the Pixar deal and i had to leave! So i have been scouring youtube for the footage and it aint there apart from this 17 second clip



so instead

Check out this two part (its actually three but the third part isnt pertinant) interview from the festival with producer Peter Schneider (the guy in the red in the 17sec vid) who also "stars" in it by a guy called Stephen Holt who actually came into the screening library i worked in actually but i had no idea who he was till now. I particularly like how his shirt matches the curtains. Looks like the interview was conducted in the hotel the festival was based at too.




No comments: