Monday 31 May 2010

Aye-Or-Naw-O-Meter: May 2010

A quick roundup of the films I got sent to me from Lovefilm this past month, my first as a member, plus anything else I happened to see for the first time:

Waiting For Guffman: Aye



Funny Christopher Guest directed improvised comedy. Made before the glorious Best In Show this features the same subtle observational humour, and a lot of the cast, with that film. It's not as good but it's still worth a watch.

The Red Balloon/White Mane: Aye



The Red Balloon is a short French film that plays a bit like an artier Bicycle Thieves in the sense that nothing much happens and it's really just the document of two companions walking through a European city. The balloon is a wonderful character and the work to make it move the way it does is wonderful. Plus the transfer is stunning. Maybe a tad dull for some, others will find it beautiful and mesmerising. The White Mane is an extra short film on the DVD and is worth a watch too.

La Jetee/Sans Soleil : Aye



Another French short getting a DVD release and again it's bundled with an extra film. This time you get a full length one Sans Soleil which is interesting and at three times the length of the main feature is a great bonus but the gem here is the La Jetee. It's a brave, intelligent piece of film making that asks the viewer to interpret what exactly is going on. It's shot almost entirely as black and white still photographs, there is some movement that comes as quite a thrill, and went on to be remade by Terry Gilliam as Twelve Monkeys. Highly recommended.

Fanny and Alexander (Director's Cut): Naw



Oh deary me. This is considered a masterpiece by Ingmar Bergman but it's actually an over long (five hours twelve minutes), bloated mess. The story goes nowhere and takes forever to do anything, the acting is overwrought and annoying and magic becomes a major plot point, simply it seems because Bergman got a bit stuck. I'm not entirely sure what the point of this is. If you can tolerate it see for yourself the epitome of everything that's wrong about European art cinema. Shame after The Red Balloon and La Jetee showing how wonderful it can be.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
: Aye(ish)



I watched this for the Rifftrax treatment. So far I've seen the first four films in the series purely for this reason. The first two were dreadful but I have to admit to enjoying the latter two films and now want the Rifftrax crew to do the rest of the series purely so I'll end up watching them. I know I won't bother otherwise but I've kind of gotten into these. I say aye(ish) because it's not really that good and if you're not a Potter fan you'll probably not really like it that much without the Rifftrax.

3 comments:

ruud kerouac said...

Potter films have got better and better. I particularly like the third. Weird that that peely wally fella from Twilight is in this wi a plummy acent.

u can just say u like em, no need to try covering it up wi the rifftrax excuse.

Big Red said...

I'm not covering it up, it's the reason I've saw the first four and it'll be the only reason why I'd watch the rest, mainly because I don't know the proper fuckin order!

ruud kerouac said...

what a load o shite, u must be interested in how its all gona end and how its done regardless of how some bawnuts take the piss out it? plus your a resourceful fella, im sure u could find out what order they come in so thats just a cop out.