Wednesday 24 February 2010

Ruud at TIFF 2009 Part 7 inc. Review of Up In The Air

Suppose I will kick off with my Ivan/Jason Reitman encounter which i mentioned in Part 6 but never explained in any detail.

Well the father and son left almost as soon as the movie ended. As the credits began to roll, they were up, Jason popped his wee wooly hat (called a toque in Canada incidentally for reasons i have yet to find out) on his head and they began making their way toward me in my isle seat.

But i was ready for them, having no stuff really to gather i simply picked up my bag and followed them out the door.

Thats about the gist of my story. I suppose now i have serious angst over my pussy behaviour when in the presense of some sort of celebrity, I should really have made some attempt to touch them, like i should have quickened my pace and maybe came between them touching them both as i came through, maybe apologising in "sorry gents" kind of way. That woudl then be my "who have you touched" entry and i would have the combo touch to fall back on which might have curried favour for a win to be awarded in my favour.

Or should i have called them, "hey Jason, Hey Ivan good to see you guys enjoying a movie. Ghostbusters was really good, Jason i havent seen any of your films yet but i have heard good things, why yes i am scottish and yes i would like a small part in both your upcoming projects, that would be lovely, now can i ask you gents to do me a favour and pose for a photo with me if its not too much trouble"

but i never, god, i never even ran in front of them and whipped out my phone, quickly popping it into camera mode and stealing a quick snap for the event of throwing it up here to validate my story.

All because i am a bit of a pussy and felt, you know, its kinda cool that two filmakers are watching the same film in the same cinema as me, im just gonna be cool and let thm get in their seperate cars and just be glad i saw them. You know?

Anyways, that was yesterday, let me take you now inside the events of day 7.

You know theres not a lot to tell, especially now that it was so long ago, the inner most thoughts of this particular Wednesday morning have frittered away in my mind. Sorry. Actually thats not strictly true, I do still have my day to day whats on when and whether i can squeeze a film in today list which i can share with you. Today is a difficult one as I have to work at night so will only be able to squeeze in a film so long as its done and dusted in time for me to be at my work by five.

So my first pick, The Most Dangerous Man in America is out as it starts at 5.45, thats a shame, it looks like a teriffic subject for a documentary. Its the story of the man who leaked the Pentagon Papers. Also a maybe was the White Stripes rockumentary Under The Great Northern Lights which is a press and industry screening at 2 til 4 which would have been doable. Its the premiere is on Friday and it would be cool to see something before its premiere. But instead i took the opportunity to see another film in the press and industy screening list. Up In The Air. How ironic since i almost met the director and producer the day before.

But the decision not to see The White Stripes film proved even more ironic as part 9 will prove.

Anyway, my shift was due to finish up but since myself and both my library team mates were wishing to see this film we arranged a quick get away at half one so we could make the start of Clooney and co at 1.45. So we stepped out the hotel and hot footed it up to the Carlton cinemas which were a short walk away, almost on Bloor St. Since this isnt exactly my territory I had no idea where we were as we lined up in the rush line for the movie. The rush line, which i hadnt yet used, was for filling up the empty seats once the people who had bought tickets in advance had been seated. No film is actually sold out before hand to allow for these sort of things. Not even the gala premiers i am assured, however those lines are generally huge due to the chance of sitting and watching it in the presence of a star. Maybe enjoying The Road with Viggo for example. So we lined up and were eventually taken. Into a shopping centre. Didnt realise that that was what i was lined up outside as we were around the back of the building. We scooted to the screening room and got our seats which were surprisingly good (i had visions of sitting in the front row gazing up with no chance of taking it all in with only my two insignificant eyes) five or six rows back in to the left. We had missed maybe the first few minutes but it was fine because were in to see one of the recommended films of the festival and were getting to do so using our clout as volunteers with the critics and industry folks, was well cool. When it finished I lost my buddys as i went out a different exit and found myself back in the shopping centre, struggling to get out i finally ended back on the street which i recognised as Bloor and headed for the subway, work was calling and it was telling me i was going to be late. If you have any knowledge of Toronto, I was up on Bloor and needed to be at the rogers Centre in an hour.

So time for a review and lets just jump in feet first. Up In The Air is truely fantastic. Really, a wonderful film. Its a film which seems to be apt for our times (though i read that it was written before our times) as it deals with unemployment as companies make cuts in staff, as well as the issue of lonliness.

It follows George Clooneys character who revels in his solitude, traversing America carrying out his job which is basically to fire people from their jobs on behalf of their employers, and he is brilliant in the role. But then thats no surprise.

He lives his life by the principle of life being like a backpack and the more people you have in the backpack the harder it is to carry it so if you offload people and look after number one things become easier. He is the quintessential loner and so the film follows him as he softens up and allows people in while at the same time his own job is under threat as his jetsetting lifestyle is seem as superfluous as a system of call centre based workers could do it quicker and cheaper.

I dont think my explanation of plot is really selling it. what Ryan, (Clooneys character) does best is to face to face sell you a future where your dreasm can be met as your just dodging along in your soon to be ex job. Its a noble crusade he is on really. When the hot shot young girl (Anna Kendrick) who comes along with an idea which does away with the need for Ryans job thats when he grows as he takes her with him to shows her what he really does. Along the way we meet many others like Ryan, such as Alex (Vera Farmiga) who are just as versed in the world of airports and hired cars and per diems. We also meet Ryan's family and his life as he sees it but on this path Ryan learns from his young travelling partner what he might be missing in his loner life.

Aside from Clooney, all the other performances are fantastic, perfectly weighted. When Clooney lets in people is where this movie takes off and shows the fragility of human beings beautifully, all the character interaction during these scenes is something to behold i think. The music is great, its well cast, it looks good, the poster as you can see in this post is actually very good, well composed i think. It really is just a fantastic film, its funny in parts, very funny in fact but also very poignant. I would say its definately a film which will affect you in some way. it certainly did me. I was genuinely moved to text my girlfriend as i waited on the auditorium emptying so i could leave to tell her I was glad to be with her and happy. If a film can make you do that then its a winner for me. Totally worthy of all its award nominations and in my opinion very unlucky not to have taken more than they already have, hopefully the academy thinks different from the others.

Now having said all that it makes me think of what would have happened if i had seen this film before i saw The Informant! What if i had saw it when it premeired on Saturday and then knowing what i know now would i have shouted at him as i left The Informant! gushing that i loved it and it moved me enough to text message my girlfriend off the back of it? I dont actually think there is much of a what if, i would probably have bottled it.

No comments: